Dr. Chen is an Instructor committed to computational pathology at
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, where he conducted postdoctoral training from 2020 to 2023.
He received a B.S. degree in software engineering and an M.S. degree in biomedical image analysis from
the Dalian University of Technology in 2012 and 2015, respectively. He received a Ph.D. degree in biomedical engineering
from the University of Florida in 2020.
His research concentrates on developing cutting-edge computational models and frameworks to advance cancer prevention, detection, diagnosis, and treatment.
Three pillars of his research are 1) AI-assisted digital pathology analysis to automate routine pathologic diagnosis and prognosis,
2) data- and biology-driven approaches to identify novel pathological biomarkers,
and 3) intelligent multi-modality data integration to facilitate personalized cancer therapy.
Dr. Chen aims to harmonize the perspectives of pathologists, oncologists, biologists, and computer scientists towards developing robust solutions to address critical unmet needs for making cancer history.
Honors & Awards
- 2023, AACR Annual Meeting Travel Grant, Biomedicines
- 2023, MDACC Fellowship Development Institute Grant Writing Cohort
- 2022, IEEE TMI Silver Distinguished Reviewer Award
- Pingjun Chen*, Frank Rojas*, Xin Hu*, et al.,
Pathomic Features Reveal Immune and Molecular Evolution from Lung Preneoplasia to Invasive Adenocarcinoma,
in Modern Pathology, 2023.
- Pingjun Chen*, Siba El Hussein*, et al.,
Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Progression Diagnosis with Intrinsic Cellular Patterns via Unsupervised Clustering,
in Cancers, 2022.
- Siba El Hussein*, Pingjun Chen*, et al.,
Artificial Intelligence Strategy Integrating Morphologic and Architectural Biomarkers Provides Robust Diagnostic Accuracy for Disease Progression in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia,
in The Journal of Pathology, 2021.
- Pingjun Chen*, Muhammad Aminu*, Siba El Hussein*, et al.,
Hierarchical Phenotyping and Graph Modeling of Spatial Architecture in Lymphoid Neoplasms,
in International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), 2021.
- Joseph D. Khoury, Jia Wu, Siba EI Hussein & Pingjun Chen,
Methods and Systems for Determining Leukemia or Lymphoma Levels using Lymphoid Images, 2023. Filed.
- Shanhui Sun, Pingjun Chen, Xiao Chen, Zhang Chen & Terrence Chen,
Systems and Methods for Image Segmentation, 2022.
- Xiao Chen, Pingjun Chen, Zhang Chen, Terrence Chen & Shanhui Sun,
Anatomy-Aware Motion Estimation, 2021.
Whole Slide Digital Pathology Image Tissue Localization.
Whole Slide Digital Pathology Image Analysis Toolbox.
- Pingjun Chen, Frank Rojas, et al.,
Lung Adenocarcinoma Evolution H&E Pathomic Feature Analysis Dataset, 2023.
- Pingjun Chen,
Knee Osteoarthritis Severity Grading Dataset, 2018.